Thursday, June 10, 2010

100 Ways to Serve Others

Last night I used my new favorite time wasting tool StumbleUpon, and stumbled upon something that will hopefully change my life in 100 days or less.

What does it truly mean to serve others? I hear about it when I make it to church with my family. I know I'm supposed to serve others, but I picture service as something that lifts another while demeaning me.

That's certainly not the case.

But I'm sure I'm not the only one who feels that way, or people would serve others more frequently and intently.

The list I'll be using as I try to change my life is 100 Ways to Serve Others. Maybe by following me in my journey you'll be inspired to try a little tenderness yourself...

The Scoop (and hold me to this): I will use at least one new tip each day. I will use them intentionally, as you can't casually serve another. I will go out of my way to use every tip (except house a homeless person because honestly, that's just a tad scary). The tips are simple, but we don't practice them often enough. Hopefully at the end of my term I will be a visibly better person. It's going to take practice and it's going to take heart, but I believe in this.

Which leads me to tip #61 and my first action of service.

61. Admit your faith and beliefs::How you possibly serve others if you do not share or admit for faith and beliefs with them. Wouldn’t that be deceiving them, hiding things from them or even lying to them if you take it too far in fear of telling them? If you truly have faith and believe in it, you HAVE TO also believe in the value of sharing it. Yes, there are good times for this and perhaps some bad times, but you must be willing to admit your faith and belief systems.


I believe in the power of an individual to make someone's day better. I believe in positive thoughts preceding positive actions. I believe in the universe being on my side, and I believe it's up to me to take advantage of all the pots of gold the world has hidden for only me to find. I believe I'm blessed beyond measure and I believe I'm meant to get it all!!

I also believe I just straightened my hair and it's raining outside. I further believe I'm meant to be in South Africa for this historic World Cup. Instead I'm getting my toes painted "Pool Party" pink. Tip #1 is simply SMILE, and I will do just that.



I wasn't born an heiress, but I gotta admit I have it ALL. I have the world at my fingertips and a pretty solid home base. I believe I'm set.

No comments:

Post a Comment