Sunday, June 13, 2010

Serving Others #97, 66, and 1

Service, Schm-ervice. This shit is hard. Who would have thought it would be so hard to serve others? With each task I find myself struggling not to serve my own wants. At any rate, day 2, 3, &4:

1. Smile:: This is a great habit to develop to start each and every day and to practice whenever you have the chance. The great thing is that smiling at others is easy and takes nothing but a little effort. Nearly everyone responds to a smile and it makes you and the other person feel better immediately.
Smiling is super hard, not because I'm not a happy person, but because I'm too cool to smile at everyone. Sometimes I would catch myself smiling at people and they would look away of discomfort. Other times I would just look and smile at an attractive guy, like at the pool party we hosted last night. When you smile at someone, it makes starting a conversation so much easier. Alas, I'm still only smiling at cute guys which only benefits me. I will say this, smiling is amazing to break the ice, and hard when you're used to being the cool girl. This will definitely be something to work on in my 100 days.

I tied this in with task #97 at the pool party.

97. Say hello often to strangers::Living in Calgary, while it isn’t a huge city, its much bigger than the small town I grew up in and it is odd how seldom people say hello. I hate that about the city and I’m doing my best to change it. You can to by greeting strangers, smiling in public and by simply hello to people as often as you can around the city. I ride my bike to work and love the bike paths I ride along as I often pass by people and have a chance to spread a smile and a hello. Most often it brings a smile in return and isn’t that a great way to serve. I think so.

Once again I used the party scene as a crutch. Would I have spoken so freely had I passed these people on the streets? Nah. How about females? Probably not. Why is being nice so hard? Let's be honest, I know I'm not the only one who feels this way. Being friendly is really something we're not all that used to. I'm working on it but it's going to take a little while and a lot of effort.


66.
Express your passions::Passions expose a positive attitude, joy and excitement from a person when they are expressed, or at least more so than normal topics. This excitement rubs off on others and in turn help to encourage them to be excited or to express their own passions as well.
Super selfish. I could talk about what I want to do all day long. Yesterday my favorite, hiring COO was more than happy, as usual, to lend an ear and lots of time for me to chat about my dreams and goals. **Checks off list and pushes the easy button.** Not quite sure what I accomplished from this but I'm glad my life could make someone else's day.


No comments:

Post a Comment